Thursday, February 23, 2006

Egg-Jam

With the ongoing hulla about avian flu, and our ISC examinations taking place ( The latter is mentioned because there seems to be some kind of superstition regarding the consumption of spherical food items, ie., eggs, rosogulla, etc. ), I am now currrently surviving on vegetables. Vegetables. VEGETABLES. My forefathers did not claw their way up the food chain so that I could eat VEGETABLES.
Anyway, we just finished our practical examinations. We had computer practicals today, and the programs were pathetically easy - but, as usual with examinations in Kolkata, compications occured, namely, the printer refused to print my program, and when one of the examiners tried to reinstall the driver, the computer refused to detect the CD- drive - he screwed up something or the other, and do NOT ask me how, managed to comkpletely DESTROY the computer - we had to reinstall Windows in the end, but on the bright side, I got my printout in the end.
The other practicals were quite easy as well - we knew the salts for the qualitative analysis from before, but the titration was a bit.. off - you see, we had KMnO4 with concentration of 1.765 g/l, while they ( the ISC ) told us that the amount was 1.75, WITH an inpurity, which meant that those who actually did the experiment ended up getting purity of the sample as somewhere around 102%. While here, let me thank Indro, for assuring me that Ca was indeed present in the sample - I then proceeded to put excess NH4Cl in water, and convinced the examiner that it was actually the precipitate of Calcium after adding ammonium oxalate in group 5.
The Physics practical was a cakewalk for some, and a disaster for others, depending upon whether they got defective galvanometers or not., while the optical bench experiment gave an unworkable solution - for the fifth value given, the parallax error reduced as we brought the pin nearer to the second lens, but still remained, even when the stands were touching ( at about 6cm, while backworking gave us a value of 4.4cm ).
Yen-e-ve, Best of Luck to all who face inpending examinations, and Best of Luck to Debayan Gupta.

2 comments:

Shrutarshi Basu said...

All that stuff about Chem lab is interesting, but you still failed at the most important task of all: BLOWING UP CHEM LAB.

sv3 said...

yah... I was thinking of doing that before i left school, but I don't think I'll get to visit the chem lab again... its ur job kuzutsu, do it!

BTW, plz bring your 'collection' of quotes + debate material that I asked for...