- Icahn insider trading probe [link]
- Pregnant Pakistani woman stoned to death outside court house while police stood and watched [link]
Excerpt: "Most national media outlets gave little attention to the story. Honor killings are so common they usually only rate a paragraph or two. Women have been mutilated and killed for wearing jeans, looking out of windows, singing or giving birth to girls."
- Two teenage girls (14 and 15) gang-raped and murdered in Uttar Pradesh, India. [link]
Akhilesh Yadav, the Chief Minister of the state replied with "You are safe, aren't you?" when asked about the dismal condition of the state. Unlike Pakistan, where policemen merely stood and watched, it appears that the police in UP took initiative to actively defend the rapists. According to national news channels, the father of the girls alleges that when he went to the house of the prime accused, a policeman was sitting outside with another (now) rape-suspect; said policeman confirmed that the girls were inside, and would be returned in 2 hours. No amount of pleading helped. Afterwords, they told the father to go look around and that "maybe you'll find them hanging on a tree". In their defense, the murdering rapists appear to be extremely honest men - both girls were indeed found to be hanging from a tree.
- US & Japan team up, tell China to stop irritating other countries [link]. China says that they'll play nice [link].
- At least 15 months to elections in Thailand [link]
- The Indian National Congress continues to be an annoyance by harping on about Smriti Irani's educational background [link]